Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wk 2 Reading - Remember Rule #6


I really enjoy reading this book.  It’s amazing how perspective can have such a great influence on everything we do.  Rule #6 says to not take your self so seriously.  That alone is great advice, but it’s even better advice when you realize that there are no other rules.  The humor in that statement really sums up the philosophy of the message.  If the book just said to not take your self seriously, then it wouldn’t have been funny at all.  Humor is a great way to relax and release tension, which I think is the main idea here.  I feel like I have changed quite a bit in the past year.  There are more responsibilities now like a house payment, meetings, professionalism, etc.  Having all these responsibilities are great, but sometimes I forget to relax and have fun.  Some days I constantly worry about things that I can’t control.  A few years ago I went on to Knoxville, TN to visit some friends.  One night we went out to a bar to see some live music.  Upon leaving the bar we decided to leave our cars there and take a taxi ride home.  Back at our friends apartment everyone was having a good time, but I was worried about my car.  The bar was located in one of the shadier parts of town.  I looked over at David, my friend who also left his car at the bar, and asked in a worried voice, “Do you think our cars will be okay?”  David looked at me and said, “Screw it, there’s nothing we can do about it now!”  He was right.  No matter how much I worried, our cars’ outcomes would have remained the same.  I instantly felt better, and enjoyed the rest of the evening.  David’s carefree response is one that I try to remember when I over-analyze things and work myself into a panic.  The next morning we got a ride back to the bar and our cars were fine.  

image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbeck/4003446559/

Source: Zander, R. S., & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observations and stories. I like the distinction you make between the book the importance of humor versus the statement don't take yourself so seriously. It really does seem to come down to having a sense of humor and riding along with whatever may happen or having anxiety attacks about things you can't do anything about. I love the taxi story because you did something responsible, take a taxi, but needed some assurance about leaving the cars behind. What's more valuable, your safety and not driving after drinking or your car? Most guys would say, well, it depends on the car... Anyway, good job.

    ReplyDelete